Recent Successes and Achievements
We are proud of the work that we do and below is a summary of our recent successes and achievements.
The contribution made by the members who sit on our council and working groups has played an invaluable part in our achievements. If you would like to get involved in any of our current campaigns we would love to hear from you.
We were able to save you money by:
- Successfully concluding a 3 year television deal with Directors UK that retained existing blanket arrangements.
We were able to help you access additional revenues by:
- Campaigning successfully for product placement to be introduced onto UK TV screens.
- Helping Pact members access International Markets by continuing to run the Pact UK Indie Pavilion at MIPCOM and MIPTV (reporting over £40m worth of business in the last 12 months for the companies that used our stand) and organising the Kidscreen mission (generating £5.7m worth of deals for the 15 members that attended).
- Successfully negotiating an increase of the amounts that commercial broadcasters will pay for your programmes being used on their VOD services
We have helped you access commissioning opportunities by:
- Launching the Out of London website giving producers vital information on commissioners.
- Launching the ‘Made by a Scottish Indie’ campaign to promote Scottish independent production.
- Organizing a Global Format Mentoring scheme to give access to commissioners from the BBC and BBC Worldwide.
- In the current market where productions that reflect diversity are attractive to commissioners Pact's Diversity Advisor has held 328 meeting with production companies so far, to help develop their diversity strategies, and we have worked with the UK broadcasters to sign up 320 companies to the Diversity Pledge.
- Encouraging all broadcasters, including Cable and Satellite channels, to hold open commissioning sessions for Independent producers and promoting these to all Pact members
We have looked after the interests of the industry by:
- Working with the Government on reviewing the archaic legislation in respect of child performances in order to establish a more relevant and effective licensing system across all genres.
- Reviewing the implementation of the Bribery Act and the interpretation and impact for programme making in the UK.
- Administering the new Tier One immigration ‘exceptional talent’ applications by acting as an assessor on behalf of the Arts Council of England for the film, television, animation, post production and visual effects industry.
We continued to protect the interests of our Film Members by:
- Successfully campaigning for Government to review how to use public support to support sustainable UK film businesses.
- Ensuring stability in the broader film production sector by concluding negotiations for construction and electrician agreements for US financed films.
We continued to help expand the Digital Sector by:
- Saving our members money by successfully campaigning for a fairer charging structure with ATVOD (the regulator for IPTV).
- Successful campaigning on behalf of digital producers to ensure they now retain their own IP rights for any work done with the public sector.
- Assisting 9 Digital Companies in attending their first MIPTV
Rights and Distribution
We were able to continue to protect your IP rights and your distribution revenue by;
- Successfully campaigning during the Hargreaves Review into IP rights to demonstrate the value of producer's IP to the UK economy.
- Working closely with the Creative Coalition to combat challenges to the Digital Economy Act which sought to lessen the value of producer's IP.
- Actively campaigning in Europe against EU proposals for a single market for online distribution.
- Our business affairs and legal department respond to over 100 members’ queries a day and we continue to provide our suite of downloadable, up to date contracts and agreements, all included in the price of your membership.
- In recent months we have helped our members with Option licensing, copyright and insurance issues, Music Right queries, understanding Artists contracts and helped resolve disputes between members and thirds parties.
- We also ran over 20 free events this year helping you keep your staff abreast of industry changes without having to pay any additional costs.